My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Catch Up

Yesterday was a busy day. I went to the beauty shop on Main St. in
downtown Frisco and got my hair cut. Then I went to the IKEA store and
had their 99 cent breakfast. I decided I would visit the IKEA store
for their breakfast after my haircuts because the timing works out
right.

After breakfast, I went back home and UPS delivered the smaller shoes
from Shoebuy.com. I was doubly pleased. One with the early delivery
from UPS, and two that the this pair of shoes fits properly.

I capitulated and called Dish Network and asked that they move the
dish to comply with the community association's ultimatum. I did not
want to do this, I think it is ridiculous and unreasonable; but I
decided it was best to get it over with and try to forget. BUT I know
I will not be able to forget, and I will celebrate the day when the
homeowners finally take control of the community association. I hope
the first order of business will be to oust the management company.
The installer from Dish Network was not happy with the situation, but
he was very polite and professional and complied with the guidelines
to the best of his ability.

The plumber came later in the afternoon to check out why there was no
hot water to the hall bathroom tub. He knew immediately what the
problem was when he walked in. He asked me if I had another bath. When
I said yes, he asked if I had tried the hot water before the previous
day. I said no. He told me the Moen valve has a cartridge that is
supposed to float back and forth to control the mixing of hot and cold
water. He said if the water is not turned on for some time the
cartridge can freeze. He said sometimes just a tap can free the
cartridge; and if that did not work, he would replace the cartridge.
He tapped and nothing happened. He disassembled the valve and showed
me how the cartridge works. He put in a new cartridge, and there is
now hot water for the hall bathroom tub. I am going to put a reminder
to in my PDA to turn on the hot water at that tub every couple of
weeks.

After lunch when I opened the door there was a package propped against
the wall. I looked at it and it was from GE. It had been delivered by
FedEx. It was addressed with my name and street address, but it had
Plano, TX 75023 on it. I though FedEx is really getting good to sort
things out and deliver to Frisco. I thought the package probably
contained the glass for my oven door. I called Meagan to confirm. She
said that was the way GE operates. They send parts and then the
technician comes to install. He will be here tomorrow.

I have an old clock made by New England Clock Co. Apparently they are
no longer in business. I broke the clock by accidentally hitting the
hands while I was cleaning. The clock has sentimental value for me. I
called the man who set up my grandfather clock and asked him if he
could repair the clock. He thinks he can and he is going to come and
pick up the clock this afternoon.

I have a Seiko mantel clock. It was knocked off the mantel back in
Beaumont during one of those terrible storms. The whole house shook. I
heard a crash. A picture above the mantel fell and knocked the clock
to the floor and damaged the mechanism. I found the Seiko USA website
and emailed them. They sent me a form and instructions for sending it
to their service center for an estimate. I have plenty of bubble wrap
but do not have a suitable box to send it in. I think I will take it
to the UPS store and let them package it for me.

I could probably get new clocks for less money that it will cost to
repair my two old clocks, but I am getting to a point in life where I
have an attachment to my old things that have been with me for so many
years.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger momula said…

    Hi Sally,
    It sounds like you are settling in to life in Frisco. I'm happy for you - you've worked hard for this.

    I agree with you about fixing the old clocks vs. buying new ones. I had a cheap dining set that I bought in 1995, and when my aunt asked me if I would like my grandmother's old table, chairs and hutch, I was thrilled. There are some nicks - not many - and my aunt's dog chewed some of the chair legs - but every time I walk into the dining room, I am warmed by a memory recalled by the furniture. Plus, it all matches!

    What did you think of that election? Did the Democrats get elected in Texas, too? I think things are going to change now.

    Take care,
    Tricia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.