My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Restful Day?

I was hoping to get some rest today to prepare for the ordeal I face
tomorrow when the furniture is unloaded. It didn't work that way. I
have been going non-stop. I went to the post office and picked up my
mail. There was no line and the woman who got my mail was very
helpful. I told her to end the construction hold and begin delivery.
When I went to the house after 1 PM, there were a couple of pieces of
mail in my box.

Next stop was Wal-Mart where I bought more soda pop and bottled water.
While I was in Wal-Mart's grocery department I spotted a jumbo bottle
of Valasic sliced bread and butter pickles. I had bought several of
those at Wal-Mart in Beaumont, but it has been over a year since the
Beaumont store stopped stocking them. I put the jar of pickles on a
high shelf in the pantry where it will be safe during the move-in
tomorrow. Those pickles are a symbol of a return to a normal life.

I took the soft drinks to my neighbor's house and put them in her
refrigerator so they will be ready for the movers tomorrow. I want to
keep them happy so they will be gentle with my furniture. My neighbor
got the company that I found recommended on the Frisco Online forum to
come out and set up their alarm monitoring. I have been trying all day
to get in touch with them.

My cul-de-sac and surrounding streets are still terribly congested
with the construction workers' vehicles. I called my construction
superintendent and told him about the big Mayflower truck that will be
coming in tomorrow. He said the congestion will be less on Saturday,
and he will do his best to spread the word that a path needs to be
cleared.

I went to Circuit City and bought the Uniden telephone system that was
top rated by Consumer Reports that I had researched last weekend. I
found that one of the handsets looks like it has been used. At least
some of the original packing was missing and the charger cord was
wrapped around the charger. I am going to test it first. If it is
defective, it will be on its way back to Circuit City pronto.

Sears is supposed to deliver the washer, dryer and refrigerator
between 1:15 and 3:15 PM tomorrow according to the automated phone
call I just received. On Sunday I am going to start transporting the
boxes in the storage unit to my house. I did retrieve my big bottle of
Tide HE from the storage unit that I had bought at Sams Club back in
July. I will be ready to do laundry in the new machine as soon as the
movers depart.

On Monday morning AT&T will be out to install the phone and DSL. Dish
Network is doing their install at the same time. My neighbor said the
Dish Network technician was at their house for four hours. Monday
afternoon the clock man is coming to set up the grandfather clock. I
have to retrieve the weights and pendulum from the storage unit. I
contacted a lawn service company to come out on Monday to give me an
estimate. The alarm company called while I was still writing, and they
will be out late Monday afternoon to inspect the equipment that has
been installed in my house to see if it is compatible with their
system. Del Webb put a different brand of alarm system in my house
than what my neighbors got.

Sometimes I feel like I am on the verge of losing control of this
circus. It is really amazing that most things are working. That big
truck is the one thing that has really been a major problem. If they
insist on more money tomorrow, I will have to go to the bank and draw
out cash because I cannot use my American Express card until I receive
the new card and Wald Mayflower does not have my other credit card on
file. The estimator actually wanted me to leave my house on Wednesday
and go to Kinkos to receive a form faxed from them and then fax it
back to them so they would have the authorization on file. He finally
dictated what I was to write, sign and give to the driver. I never
want to deal with a moving company again.

I will not be adding anything to the blog until Monday evening when my
DSL Internet connection should be set up.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Moobear said…

    Hope all goes well for you today, including the BIG truck. I will be looking forward to seeing you back on Monday. You are amazingly organized and I think your move went well as you were certainly prepared. Get some rest when you can. Take care friend.

    God Bless!

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger momula said…

    Oh Sally! You've accomplished so much, don't lose faith now! It does seem unfair that simply moving from one place to another, even with the most meticulous planning, can sometimes bring ordeals and trials that push you to the brink, but in a few weeks those memories will fade, and in a few months they will seem like bad dreams.
    Hang in there! Looking forward to your triumphant return on Monday.
    Tricia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.