My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I want to run away from home


I think most people around here are on the same emotional roller coaster ride than I am. Tempers are on the edge of flaring. The bills are coming in, the insurance companies are being obstinate, not showing up, not sending checks. Many are behaving in ways they would not during normal times and adopting an everyone for himself attitude. The neighbor helping neighbor bit did not last very long. Fences are being put up with no regard for property lines. I am trying to withdraw into my house and avoid it all. An outfit from Houston has moved into our street. They are installing roofs and fences. The boss is an American of Hispanic origin. The workmen all speak Spanish. I suspect they are illegals.

My FedEx package from L.L. Bean was supposed to be delivered by 3 PM yesterday. It came at little after 5 PM, which was not bad considering they are still working on their backlog. The driver held out the package and said you may want to open it before you accept it. The plastic bag had been caught in a conveyor belt and ripped open and taped back together. I opened it and my shirt was not harmed. I was relieved because I did not want to have to call L.L. Bean, arrange a return and have them ship my order a third time.

Another trip to Sam’s Club is on the agenda for this morning. My kitchen still is not fully restocked, and I have a fairly long list of things I need.

I received an email from an old friend, who is still working for the company that I retired from. He said the plant received extensive damage, and they are putting in twelve hour days. I do not know how people are managing to put in the long hours on the job and cope with the problems at home. I am so fortunate to be retired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.