My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Beaumont is Busy


The amount of activity going on in this town is amazing. I do not know where all the people that are working on houses came from. This afternoon I went out to get my flu shot and could hardly weave my car between the workmen’s trucks that are all over the streets. The pile of rubble down at the end of the street has quadrupled. There are some strange looking things on the rubble pile. One thing really had me stumped. My neighbor explained that it was the steps from one house’s swimming pool.

My damage is not really visible to me unless I open the drapes and look for it. It is easy to settle into my house, resume my life and forget that Rita happened. However, I am not going to do that. I am starting to clean my house and figure out what I want to get rid of. I have accumulated stuff that I definitely would not want to pay to move.

This morning I looked out the window, and there was a newspaper in my driveway. I went out and picked it up and found it was The Wall Street Journal. From the conversation I had with them earlier in the week I did not think home delivery would be resumed so soon. It seems all the services are coming back sooner than predicted. It has been three days since I had to unplug the cable modem and wireless router. RoadRunner and cable TV appear to be back to normal.

I thought I would wait a couple of weeks for things to settle down before I took my car in to get the shock absorbers checked. If the service department is open, now may be a good time to get that done while people are occupied with their houses instead of their cars.

Beaumont has been forgotten by the national media. I think it would be a very interesting story to see how the people are so hard at work rebuilding their lives. These people are not sitting on their butts waiting for FEMA to come bail them out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.