My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Surprises

I am still cleaning the garage. I have three sets of storage shelves along one wall that came with cardboard storage boxes. I have not looked into some of those boxes since I moved into this house eighteen years ago. I found one box that was completely filled with Atari computer magazines. Those probably could be sold on eBay, but I do not want to bother with them. I also found two boxes filled with Folger's coffee cans. My father always told me to save coffee cans because they were useful when painting and good for storing small items in the garage. Well all of that stuff is in the trash now.
 
I have started cleaning inside the house. I am starting in the master bathroom. Over the last two days I have cleaned the linen closet. I started hauling out some of the shoe boxes. I am beginning to think I might be a rival for Imelda Marcos. The trunk of my car was filled to the brim when I went to the Goodwill donation station this morning. There were a dozen rolls of Contac paper that I bought to cover the bathroom and linen closets shelves that I never got around to using.
 
I emailed the lifestyle director at Frisco Lakes and volunteered to help with the formation of some of the clubs. I told her I was interested in computers, photography, books and travel. She wrote back and said she was adding me to the list of Frisco Lakes Ambassadors. I am not one to volunteer, but I feel that it will be a good way to make new friends.
 
The Frisco Lakes activities center will have a library. I noticed that the library at Sun City Texas had many paperback books on the shelves. I am wondering if I could donate my collection. I must have 300 books that I have read over the past four or five years. They weigh quite a bit and will cost me to move them; but if they were in the community library I would feel good about them.
 
Yesterday I went to visit my neighbors who lived across the street from me in their new home. It is lovely. They have used plantation shutters on their windows. I want plantation shutters in my new house. Drapes are dust catchers. I think it will be very easy just to run the vacuum brush over the shutters. I watched what my former neighbors went through as they packed and cleaned out items that were no longer of use. They have inspired me to start the sorting process well in advance of the actual move.
 
I majored in chemical engineering and also have an MBA degree. I still have all my engineering and business textbooks. I do not know who would want those books. No one would want forty year old engineering texts. They are extremely heavy and are not going to my new home. For lack of a better solution they will be going to Goodwill.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger momula said…

    Hi Sally,

    Frisco Lakes sounds like a nice place to live. They will be lucky to have you - your computer expertise, your intelligent and practical input, your library donations ... who could ask for a better neighbor? Good luck with all that!

    I have a basement full of boxes that have followed me from two other homes - I don't really want to go through them but I know I should. Although we have had a very mild winter so far - it's about 45-50 lately during the day - it's still not time for spring cleaning. I don't want to wait too long, however, because I'm having a big party on June 3 - my older daughter is graduating from college! I want all of the little "fix-it" things done by then. If you can clean your garage and closets, then I can paint my bathrooms!
    Take care,
    Momula

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.