My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Slowed Down

On Sunday I tackled my old computer. It has a humongous 17" monitor that is so heavy I can barely push it across the table. I bought every peripheral gadget that could be added to a computer. The maze of cables under the table was unbelievable. I untangled the cables. My wireless router has a print server and the printer is now attached to the router instead of the computer. My old computer had a SCSI controller in it. The disk drives, dat tape drive, CD-ROM and scanner all worked off of the SCSI controller. SCSI peripherals were very expensive. I just hate to part with all of them, but they are all obsolete. They have to go. I was afraid to try and boot the old computer. It has been idle for so long I was fearful that it might burst into flames when I turned the power on. I had scanned my financial records on to the hard disks and was afraid to let them go. I opened up the computer and removed the drives. I now have two disk drive paper weights. I might attack them with a hammer or dunk them in water before I dispose of them. I scooted the monitor across the table and eased it into my chair. I then rolled it to the hall way and eased it to the floor at the top of the stairs. I am going to call the Salvation Army to see if they will come pick it up. That monitor has made me feel very weak and helpless.
 
When I was finished carting out all of the computer stuff, I was left with the laser printer, the router and cable modem on my computer table. I now use a WiFi enabled notebook computer that I move around the house. I can print out documents without being attached to the printer. I disposed of all of my old floppy diskettes. My current computer does not have a floppy drive. I realized that the dat backup tapes contained all of my financial data. I destroyed the tapes by breaking the cases and pulling out the tape. I then chopped the tape up with my scissors. I destroyed more than $100 worth of tapes, but with rampant identity theft I did not dare leave those tapes in tact.
 
On Monday morning when I woke up I noticed my right arm was sore. It had a tingling pain. I had on long sleeves and had not examined my arm when I changed clothes. Finally when I got in the bathtub I noticed I had this huge bruise that covers the entire bicep of my upper right arm. It is really ugly. I am not sure just how I injured my arm. It must have happened when I moved that horrid computer monitor. I have taken aspirin. I am a little concerned that clots might break off of this bruise. Again I say it is really big and ugly. It is much darker in color today but does not hurt quite as much as it did yesterday.
 
I have now started on the bedroom that I call the den. Yesterday I cleaned one shelf in the closet and today I cleaned the top shelf. My arm has slowed me down. I put out six 33-gallon trash bags this morning for pickup and delivered another trunk load to Goodwill.
 
The sales rep at Frisco Lakes who I am to meet with on March 6 called this afternoon. She is sending me a package of floor plans with all of the dimensions. With that information I will be able to finalize my choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.