My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I Feel Good


Life is no longer dull. It is funny how pre-Rita everyone scurried around and never had time to stop and talk. Now everyone is overwhelmed with trying to put their lives back in order, but now they all stop and talk and care about one another.

Yesterday I talked to the insurance adjuster at 11 AM. He said he would leave Lake Charles at 4 PM and stop in Beaumont on his way home. At a quarter to six he had not shown up so I called his cell phone and asked him if he was getting close to Beaumont. He answered and sounded very upset—almost like he was crying. He told me my file had been pulled and reassigned, and he would not be seeing me and that he was sorry and hung up on me. I immediately called the claims number for my insurance company. They are manning that number 24/7. The woman pulled up my file and gave me the name and telephone number for the new adjuster who has been assigned to my case. He is working out of the disaster center they have set up in Pasadena, Texas. The first adjuster was a contract employee. The new adjuster is an employee of my insurance company. The woman said she had an email that said the first adjuster would no longer be handling claims for my insurance company. I am making the assumption that they fired him. This is just plain weird but probably will work out for the best.

Today I have to go out and purchase more groceries. I have consumed what I purchased on Friday. I hope Wal-Mart is getting more refrigerated and some frozen food. My old nemesis, the self-checkout scanners, were not operating on Friday. I hope they are back. I am ready to do battle with them. I have a check that I need to deposit at my bank. I know the mobile bank that operates from a trailer has cash dispensing ATM’s, but I do not know if they are able to accept deposits. Life’s simplest little tasks now are quite complicated.

Several of my neighbors work at the chemical and petroleum refineries. They are working ten plus hour days in addition to struggling to get their homes back in order. I am very lucky to be retired but still young enough to cope with the challenges. Several of my neighbors are elderly, and I marvel at how they are coping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.