My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Computer, Etc.

It is wonderful! My computer has performed without a single glitch since I installed the Microsoft updates on May 8. During the first two months with Vista I was wondering if I had made a dreadful mistake by getting the new operating system. Since I had no problems installing the software for the new Canon laser printer I decided to go ahead and install my Epson PictureMate photo printer, Vista shipped with the driver for the PictureMate. All I had to do was plug the USB cable in and Vista detected the printer and installed the driver. Before I did this I cleaned the print heads. I had to install a new ink cartridge before cleaning the print heads. I know the old cartridge was no where near empty, but I guess it dried up since I had not attempted to print any pictures for several months. I had to go through the head cleaning procedure three times before the printer was able to print an acceptable test pattern.
 
I then printed some pictures from Photoshop Elements 5.0. I am having a dreadful time understanding that program. My old computer had Photoshop Elements 1.0. I seldom used Photoshop Elements 1.0. I did buy a book and had learned the basics. On the old computer I used Nikon View and a program that came with the printer called Film Factory. Apparently neither program is going to be updated for Vista. Photoshop Elements 5.0 looks nothing like the old Ver. 1.0. There is a man in our photo group who works for Canon. He was going to demo Photoshop Elements 5.0 for the group at our next meeting. I was really disappointed because it is the same day as my trip to Granbury. Last night I saw the chairman of the photo group. He told me they have changed the date for the next meeting, and I will be able to see the demo. Yesterday I read reviews of books on Photoshop Elements 5.0. The same author that wrote the book I have on Ver. 1.0 has a new book for Ver. 5.0. I decided against his new book and ordered another one that got excellent reviews. Microsoft has included photo editing software with Vista. That may be the easiest for me to use.
 
I keep following the thread on the Apple forum about computers with SATA drives getting RAID 0 errors when they install iTunes. There is now an acknowledgement of the problem on the Intel website. Intel makes the controller for the SATA drives. Apparently the problem occurs when video files are run in iTunes and Quicktime installed on a pc running Vista. My iPod is not the video model, but just the same I am not going to install iTunes until this problem is resolved.
 
Now I am trying to find the courage to format my external Seagate drive to the NTFS format and start using the backup program that comes with Windows Vista Business Edition. I have been copying my personal data to the external hard drive, but I have not done a full backup of the new computer. Anyway the new computer has become more functional. In a few more months I will have all the capabilities I had before the old computer died.
 
A few more caladiums have sprouted. They are very colorful, but I wish they would hurry up and fill in the gaps in the flower bed.
 
Monday I played canasta. I think I played fairly well without making any blunders. I wish I could say the same about my attempts to play bridge. Monday evening I went to the second Cooking with Karen demo. She prepared marinades for grilling chicken and seafood. She also made coleslaw and potato salad. The best part of the demo is when the samples are served.
 
Last night the Del Webb vice president who is in charge of the Frisco Lakes project gave us an update on the status of the requests to install traffic lights at the entrances. A few weeks ago the candidates for the Frisco City Council came here and answered questions regarding the traffic signals. We were supposed to get the facts last night, but frankly I am still confused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.