My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Vista Rant

This morning I read an article about the incompatibilities of Vista and how slowly software publishers and hardware manufacturers are releasing updated products. I also read that Dell has announced they will again start offering Windows XP to home pc buyers. Vista doesn't look very different from XP on the surface, but there are major changes under the hood. I have had IE 7 freeze twice in the last two days. This morning not only did IE 7 lockup, but the whole computer locked up. I could move my mouse pointer, but nothing happened when I clicked on an application or the start button. I finally tried the control-alt-delete combination. This no longer brings up the end task window. I was presented with a list of actions. None of them said restart. I decided to try logoff. That worked. I logged back on. Now I was able to restart the computer in the normal manner. The next problem was after the reboot, the WiFi connection was not working. I then did a complete shutdown and restarted. Since then everything has been normal. After spending so much money for a new computer, I really do not want to have to contend with all the bugs. It is not as if the problems happen all the time. They do not; but when they do it is very irritating. I also read that the CEO of Intel inadvertently leaked that Microsoft plans to release Service Pack 1 for Vista by the end of the year. I hope the service pack will fix many of the bugs.
 
I also read on the Notebook Review forum that someone had tried to install Windows XP on a computer like mine and was unable to do so. Sony refuses to support a computer that does not have the original operating system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.