My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

High-Tech Church in Frisco

I went to the Saturday evening church service at the Methodist church that is close to my house. The congregation was formed in 1999. Like most things in Frisco it is new and high-tech. When I walked in, I noticed that people took the invitation to come in the clothes they wore for Saturday yard work very seriously. The majority of the people were young couples with children, but I saw a few who looked like they would be eligible to live in Frisco Lakes. After I sat down, I noticed there was a screen mounted high above the altar. Church announcement and slides were being shown. It was very similar to all of the ads that are rotated at a movie theater before the show starts. I looked up and saw there was a computer projector mounted high in the ceiling.
 
Instead of having a traditional church choir there was a group of 5 or 6 people up front. Several had guitars. One woman sang. They definitely were not the hymns I am used to in a Methodist Church. When it was close to time for the service to begin, I again looked up at the screen. I saw a Windows Vista desktop that said Vista Home Premium. I watched as the computer operator loaded a presentation to be used during the service. From then on every hymn, every prayer and every scripture reading was shown on the screen. They had a graphic to illustrate the minister's sermon. The sermon was good. The minister is a middle-aged man. His sermon was the only part of the service I considered traditional. There was nothing wrong with the service. It was just very different from what I have been used to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.