My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Update


I received another reminder that Beaumont is still a long way from normal. When I bought my new tires a few days before the evacuation at Discount Tire, they told me that I could bring the car in once a month; and they would check the tire inflation for me. Since I am driving to Austin this weekend I decided it would be a good idea to get the tires checked. I watched as the each tire was checked. I noticed the technician was adding a considerable amount of air to one tire. I said that seems to be a lot of air for a brand new tire. He felt the tire and said I had a nail in it. I was not surprised since Beaumont’s streets are full of nails. Anyway I had a two and a half hour wait to get the tire fixed.

I could tell the main showroom had a new ceiling and had been painted. I asked about their damage and was told until four days ago they had been operating out of one of the bays and the showroom had been closed. There was still a tent set up in front with chairs where people could wait while their tires were installed. Only four of their six bays are in operation. With all the debris on the streets and the shortage of manpower it was easy to understand why I had to wait two and a half hours to get the tire repaired. They finally just moved my car in front of a bay and jacked it up. My car never got inside. Anyway I am very glad I got the tire fixed before I do highway driving.

I then went to Wal-Mart and saw a temporary sign on the door that said the store hours are 7AM to l0 PM. Inside there was a big sign that said they were now hiring. Last week the newspaper said Wal-Mart was short sixty employees. I assume the problem is persisting. I also noted that the self checkout scanners are back in operation. They had not been operating since Rita struck. I have not been in Parkdale Mall since my return but have heard that a number of the stores are short of help. A number of the chain stores allowed Beaumont employees to work for the stores where they evacuated and apparently they are remaining in those cities.

FedEx is scheduled to deliver the larger suede jacket from L.L. Bean today. I hope this one fits properly. It would be awful to have to return a second one. The big disadvantage of mail order shopping is making returns and waiting for a refund. Being able to track packages is certainly a big improvement over the old days. I checked the U.S.P.S. site this morning and know the jacket I am returning departed Dallas yesterday. I will know when Bean receives it and will then have to start checking my credit card for the refund. I am also waiting for a shoulder bag that was on the same order with the jacket. It was backordered but now is being processed. It is being delayed because I ordered a monogram. The bag will probably be sent by mail instead of FedEx. They usually use the postal service for the second part of orders. It may arrive while I am out of town. I will alert my neighbor to watch for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.