My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Not Desperate Yet, But. . . .

I am out of orange juice, and I finished my last carton of yogurt yesterday. The rain continues. I thought I would go to Sam's Club today no matter what, but now I am having second thoughts. Frisco Lakes and my house are just fine. We are on rather high land so there is no danger of being flooded. My worry is getting caught in a downpour and having to drive on flooded streets. In Beaumont I knew where to expect flooding, but I do not know what streets are prone to flooding around here. In Beaumont there was a grocery store exactly one mile from my house. There is an Albertson's that is fairly close to me now, but since I am unwilling to make a left turn onto FM 423 I have to drive much farther to reach Albertson's when using my avoid left turn route.
 
Yesterday a nice lady from the Beaumont area posted comments on this blog. She offered to send me something from Beaumont if there was anything I wanted. That started me thinking. I decided there is something from Beaumont that I miss, but it can't be sent to me. I would like a good fresh seafood platter at one of the very good restaurants in SE Texas. This area has many fine restaurants, but they just don't have that combination of fresh seafood and Cajun seasoning that abounds in SETX.
 
Guess what! I have finally found something about Vista that I like. Yesterday I read an article about Vista recovery strategies. The article mentioned a tool called Reliability Monitor in Vista. The Reliability Monitor keeps track of Windows crashes, application failures and hardware problems. The author of the article said his computer had a 7.95 out of ten reliability index. I loaded the utility and found my computer has a 7.65 reliability index. What I really liked was a graph that plotted problems by date. There was a red X on every day that my computer had a problem. Clicking on a red X opened a window with a description of the problem. Every one of the abnormal shutdowns that has plagued my computer has been plotted. All of this information is being send to Microsoft. There is also a problem report section in Vista, and it alerts you to updates and patches from third party vendors. On the surface Vista is very similar to XP, but these new tools are a definite improvement. More updates were installed on my computer yesterday. The first time it was restarted after the installation it did not establish a WiFi connection, but It was able to do a complete shutdown. When I started it the second time the WiFi connection was established, and there have been no more problems.
 
I went for my walk yesterday morning and used the new tally counter. It is a little larger that I like, but I found a way to hold it in my left hand so I can punch the lever with my thumb each time I complete a lap. I will go back tomorrow morning. I am going to stick to one mile, three times a week for two more weeks. Then I will either start walking a longer distance or start walking five days a week. Several years ago my right knee started hurting after I over did the walking. It put an end to the walking for several years. Now I am being very careful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.