My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Computer Bobbles

This afternoon I decided to transfer the last of my files from the Seagate external drive to the new computer. I used the external drive to back up the old computer every Saturday morning. My old computer had one hard disk that was partitioned into C and D drives. When I purchased the external drive in the spring of 2006, I carefully configured the BounceBack software that came with it to backup both the C and D drives. I watched the backup process and it gave indications that it was backing up both partitions. I used the D drive primarily for photos and iTunes files. I remember checking the files on the external drive last June and could not locate the files from the D drive. At that point I manually copied all of the files on the D drive to the external drive. Well today I tried to find the files from the D drive. Again I could not locate them. The photos I took between June, 2006, and January, 2007, are no where to be found. The photos were mostly of the trips to Frisco while the house was under construction and photos I had taken while walking around Frisco Lakes. All is not lost because I had uploaded some of the photos to Smugmug. It will be slow, but I had set up Smugmug so my photos could be copied. I am lucky that I have that option to recover some of my files.
 
I bought the external drive when copying files to CD"s became too much for me to handle. It looks like I better go back to putting files on CD's as an extra safety measure. My loss is rather small compared to what some people are unable to recover when their computer fails. I kept my Word, Excel and scanned documents on the C drive. All of them now have been copied safely to the new computer.
 
This afternoon Windows Media Player again refused to load. This is the problem I had when I called Sony tech support. This time I turned the WiFi switch to the off position so I was no longer on the Internet, disabled Norton Internet Security and restarted the computer. Windows Media Player again started working. I enabled Norton and turned WiFi back on. The Media Player continued to work. Now I have to figure out what triggers its failure. I know it has something to with Norton, but I am at a loss to know what if anything I can do to fix it. At least I have a work around.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi Sally,

    I'm the CEO & Chief Geek at SmugMug, and I'm so sorry to hear you lost some of the photos stored on your hard disks.

    Thank goodness, though, that you have some of them stored with us. I just wanted to make sure you know that we let you download your photos back to your PC anytime you like. Comes in especially handy with events like these.

    There are a variety of ways to do so, so please don't hesitate to contact one of our amazing Support Heroes ( http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal ) for help should you need it.

    Take care,

    Don

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Sally said…

    Don,

    Thank you so much for writing. I have been using Smugmug for almost three years. Fortunately my loss is rather minor.

    Sally

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.