My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Melt Down

It has finally got to be too much for me. What sent me over the edge
was that I could not find my shoe horn this morning. I thought it was
in the bag I brought in the car from Beaumont. I have one pair of
sandals that I have worn every day since leaving Beaumont with bare
feet. I also have a pair of walking shoes and two pair of socks. I
cannot get the walking shoes on without a shoe horn. I looked and
looked for the shoe horn and could not find it. The one I was looking
for was just a simple plastic shoe horn that Wal-Mart gave away.

I have a form for the fire insurance policy on the Beaumont house that
needs to be mailed back to USAA. I thought I would go to the Wal-Mart
at FM 423 and 121 in The Colony. I had never been there before. I put
the insurance form envelope in my purse. All over Beaumont there are
U.S. Mailboxes in front of most stores and super markets. I was sure
there would be a box at Wal-Mart. I didn't see one. I walked the
length of the store. I asked the greeter if there was a mailbox. He
said the nearest one was a short distance away. I said that is what
all the people up here say. "It is a short distance." Then I end up
driving miles and miles. He said it was 1.3 miles away. I said to me
that is a long distance. I want one I can easily walk to. He told me
to have a good day.

Then I went in the store. It is a rather old Wal-Mart and does not
have the wide range of merchandise that I am used to. I found the shoe
department. There were contract employees all over the place taking
inventory. I finally found a Wal-Mart employee. She did not know what
a shoe horn was. I described it. She looked, found a supervisor who
also looked and then went off to find the department manager. Finally
one located a 2 ft. long one that cost $1.97. I told them I just
wanted a short simple shoe horn. They said sorry. I walked away and
started crying.

I found a poor selection of crackers and poor selection of cleaning
agents. I wanted something to clean the fiberglass bathtubs. I used
powder Comet on my bathtubs back in Beaumont and was afraid it might
scratch the fiberglass. I bought a spray bottle of liquid Comet that
said it is safe for fiberglass. I also bought a spray bottle of Arm &
Hammer shower cleaner. I left that Wal-Mart and am determined never to
go back. Even though the road construction makes it difficult to go to
the one next to Sam's on Ohio Drive, I think it is worth the effort to
get to a good well-stocked store.

I then drove up FM 423 to the shops that are near Main St. A lady that
works as a receptionist in the Frisco Lakes sales center told me the
nearest mailbox was in that shopping center. I got out of the car and
walked around. I did not see a mailbox. I asked a guy that I am
assuming was from India in the dry cleaners where a mailbox was. He
told me about some private box at the video store. I said I want one
of the blue U.S. Mail boxes.

I then drove on east on Main to the new Frisco City Hall. I thought
those politicians who can get that new palace built must have enough
clout to get a mailbox. I did not get out of the car but I did not see
one. I then drove back west on Main to Legacy and went south to
Lebanon Rd. I went in the shopping center where there is a big
Signature Kroger store. Again I found no mailbox. I went back to
Frisco Lakes. The same receptionist had pointed out a mailbox near the
amenity center that is under construction. It is just the kind people
put out in front of their homes on a post. I stopped and looked in the
box. There was a bottle of soda pop in the box. I decided that was not
a safe place to leave my form that has confidential information
including my social security number on it. I went home. I will scan
and fax the form to USAA.

By then it was time to eat lunch. I decided to be grateful that I can
now prepare a meal. A week ago I did not have enough kitchen items
unpacked to fix a meal. I ate. Then I had a talk with myself. I said
no one is going to give me an F, fire me or deny me a raise if I do
not unpack a quota of boxes each day. I just shut down. I watched CSI
Miami that I was unable to watch last night. Then I finished watching
the Amazing Race from Sunday night. I watched As the World Turns Live.
The lawn service came and mowed my grass. They left a note that said
they were here and left instructions to call if I found any damage. I
became alarmed and wondered if they had damaged the sprinklers. I ran
all six stations in turn trough a one minute manual test. They seemed
to be all right.

While I was checking the sprinklers a truck from HomeTeam, the tubes
in the wall exterminator company, pulled up and started work on my
next door neighbor's house. It was a different technician than came to
my house yesterday. I decided I better call and confirm that the
technician is coming back Wednesday to pump the chemicals into the
tubes in the wall. I was on hold a long time but was finally reassured
that the work would be done tomorrow.

I then had a 15 minutes nap, which was interrupted by a call from the man
from the shutter company. They want to come out on Friday and install
the last shutter in the master bathroom. That was good news. I really
like my shutters.

To top things off I opened a drawer in my dresser and saw an old metal
shoe horn. Tomorrow I will put on my walking shoes and go for a walk.

One bright note is the clock has run since Saturday night without
missing any chimes and kept them in the proper order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.