My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Unbelievable

I knew the drought would end in Frisco when I moved here, but this is
ridiculous. I just checked weather.com, and Frisco is under a flash
flood watch until 6 PM.

My life continues to have its ups and downs. I unpacked my first
wardrobe box yesterday. I am extremely disgusted with the way the
shelves and poles are placed in the walk-in closet in the master
bedroom. It was obviously designed by a man who has no idea on the
length of women's clothes. My next door neighbor came over and saw my
predicament. She had her husband come over and look at it. The
cheapest solution they could think of was for me to buy new hangers
for all my clothes. That would only solve one of the problems.
Unfortunately the one wardrobe I unpacked did not have the clothes I
need. I washed my five outfits that I have been wearing for the past
13 days. I also washed the few towels that I brought with me.

Well now I have seen the downside of satellite TV. My receiver lost
the satellite signal. The rain is very light. The technician told me
it would only be lost in what they call white rain. I called the Dish
Network support line and went through their steps. The receiver
acquired the signal in the middle of the call. I got a package with
120 channels plus local channels. I finally took time to see what I
got last night. I decided a lot of worthless junk is included and some
of the channels that I like are not there. I do not have the National
Geographic Channel, the Discovery Times Channel, the Science Channel,
the History Channel International, Bloomberg, CSPAN3 and several
others. Some of those were included in expanded basic in Beaumont.
Dish Network offers them if you subscribe to their 180 channel
package. I am not spending any more money.

I thought the grandfather clock was running well until yesterday when
I was in the kitchen at 12:15 it struck 12 PM. Shortly thereafter it
stopped chiming. At two thirty it stuck the correct half hour. Then at
6 PM it stopped chiming again. At 8 PM it had self corrected and was
correct until I went to bed. I woke up at 4:15 this morning and so far
has been O.K. I called the clock man when I first noticed the problem.
He called back yesterday evening. He said he was not surprised. He
said there may be a worn bushing, but it is an expensive labor
intensive process to replace it. The German company that made the
works has recently gone out of business, but a new movement is still
available. I told him I wanted to observe what the clock is doing for
a few more days. He is going to call me back on Monday. I had similar
problems with the clock when I moved to Houston. It was only three
years old at the time and finally settled down after the move. I am
hoping it will straighten out by itself. I pulled the weights up this
morning. It has been my routine since 1977 to pull the weights up
every Sunday morning.

My neighbors have invited me over for lunch. They are having steak and
potatoes. That sounds very appealing to me since I am originally from
the Midwest. My neighbors are interesting people. They are retired
professors from the University of Puerto Rico. They have not moved
their furniture to Frisco Lakes. They are buying new things but are
not contending with the mess that I have on my hands. They are taking
pity on me.

I unpacked the table lamps for my bedroom yesterday. It was
unbelievable what the packers managed to put in the box. They put a
VCR in the same box with the lamps. The miracle is nothing seems to be
broken. I have not tested the VCR. I may never use it. The DVR
supports my two TV's. Now that I only have two TV's I do not need the
VCR, which is now obsolete technology. The satellite signal has been
lost again. I am definitely going to get AT&T's U-verse service if it
is affordable.

I also found the X-10 controller that is also a digital clock that I
keep on my night table. I programmed it to turn one of my beside lamps
on and off in the morning and evening. It is good to be able to see
what time it is and have lamps beside my bed.

I almost threw open the front door this morning to go out and look at
the rain, but I caught myself before I triggered the alarm system. So
far I have managed to disarm the system. I hope I do not have a memory
lapse. I just went out on the front porch. There is a nice steady
rain. Frisco needs it. I saw lightening and thought my front porch
might be a good location to take a picture of lightening. I brought
most of my camera equipment in the car, but I let the packers handle
the two tripods. I have not found them yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.