My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Why I Do Not Want Faux Wood Shutters

On Saturday I met with a lady who wants to sell me plantation shutters for my new house. I was dismayed when she handed me an estimate for faux wood shutters for my new house and included windows that I was not considering covering with shutters. She told me that 30 of my neighbor ladies had got together and decided they wanted faux wood shutters and that real wood shutters were outrageously expensive. The more I listened the more irritated I became. Number one--Sally is not a sheep. I try to think for myself. If 30 of my neighbors want faux wood, that is their choice. Sally will not fall in line.

This woman said to me that faux wood was polyvinyl chloride. She asked me if I knew what polyvinyl chloride was. I said yes I am a chemical engineer and PVC is plastic crap. She said that wood warps in the hot Dallas sun. Well let a chemical engineer tell you what PVC will do in the hot Dallas sun. The heat will accelerate the decomposition of the PVC. PVC is a chlorinated hydrocarbon. When the PVC molecules break now very carcinogenic byproducts such as dioxins are formed. I am not going to hang PVC shutters throughout my house and have them off gassing noxious chemicals into my breathing environment. This is a link to an article that gives information on PVC building materials: Environmental Impacts of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Building Materials

On Friday I met with another lady who provides shutters. This one uses real wood. Her bid came in lower than the one for the PVC shutters. I really liked this lady. I checked her Better Business Bureau report. She has been in business since 2002 and has zero complaints on her record. I went back to the Frisco-Online forum and sent private messages to five people who strongly recommended this lady and asked if they would be willing to give me their telephone numbers so I could call and discuss this lady's work. So far one woman has responded. I called her, and she had nothing but good things to say. She invited me to come to her home and see her shutters on my next visit to Frisco.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hardworking always reflect in hard worker's work. Your this article is showing your hardworking. Keep doing this great work.
    Custom Shutters

     
  • At 2:43 PM, Blogger Shutters said…

    Keep sharing more and more information about this. This is good information of Faux Wood Shutters and really like your site.
    shutters houston

     
  • At 2:07 AM, Blogger blindsandshutters said…

    I love shutters because they are so versatile. We've got some at our cottage, in front of our furnace and hot water heater to help hide them. Now I'm looking for some to use as accents in our house. Anxious to see this when you're finished.
    wood flooring Houston

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.