My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Update

This morning as I was driving over to the Post Office I spotted a Daryl Flood Allied moving van. They are one of the moving companies located in Houston that I have called, and they had not returned my call. I thought I would stop on the way back and ask the owner of the house if theirs was a corporate move; and if not how they managed to get Daryl Flood to come to Beaumont. On the way back I saw that the moving van was not parked on the residential street but was in the parking lot of a strip shopping center adjacent to the residential area. So I did not stop and ask any questions.
 
When I got back home, I called Daryl Flood and asked to speak to an estimator. I was surprised when the operator put me through to him. I asked him if they would come over to Beaumont to make an on site estimate and if they would send their packers over from Houston. He said perhaps they could do a driver pack on the day of the move. I told him when I had moved in the past on corporate moves, it had taken three packers all day to do my packing. He said they might have the local Beaumont affiliate make the inspection, and they could bid out the packing to them. I have a friend who was not pleased with the local agent. She did not use their packing service. The problem was that some of her furniture was scratched. I am still hoping the Houston Mayflower agent will come through for me. Daryl Flood did say they will do a binding bid and take credit cards for payment. I have to get my frequent flier miles.
 
For many years I had a charge account at Sears. When they started accepting Visa, MasterCard and Amex, I stopped using the Sears card. I have noted in their ads that their appliance sale prices are often linked to the use of their own Sears card. As I a result, I applied for their card over the internet. There was a section where they offered some kind of account protection if you lost your job or were hospitalized. There is a fee added to the account every time you make a charge. I carefully read the instructions and am sure I did the proper things to decline the coverage. I got the Sears card last week, but yesterday I received a letter saying I was enrolled in AccountCare. I was furious. I called their toll free number and demanded they cancel the enrollment. The woman would not take no for an answer. She kept expounding on the virtues of their coverage. Finally she said my enrollment was canceled, and there would be no fees. I asked her to send me a letter stating that. She would not do it. All she did was give me her employee number. This morning I sent a letter to them confirming my call to cancel the enrollment. I told them it was my consideration that they were employing deceptive business practices; and if I ever saw a charge from them on my account, I would report them to every federal and state consumer protection agency. I then spent $4.64 to send the letter certified mail, return receipt requested. I thought I might as well nip this one in the bud before I have further problems.
 
After I went through that exercise, I thought I might go back to my regular Amex or MasterCard to buy my appliances. Not only would I get my frequent flier miles, I would also double the manufacturer's warranties up to one additional year. The warranty protection is something that the Sears card does not provide. They will start their harassment to purchase their extended service policies.
 
After I calmed down, I packed the sixth box of crystal. I packed nineteen Waterford stems. There are twenty-one more to pack. I hope I can get the remaining twenty-one packed in one box. I am packing one box a week. I will finish the job well in advance of the actual move. I am on my third large box of Scotch bubble wrap. I added one more box to my Sam's Club shopping list.
 
As I read through what I have written, I realized this blog entry sounds like a rant, and it is. Sears' account protection policy really irritated me.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.