My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Frustrated with Moving Companies

The United Van Lines estimator from Houston came out this morning. He
was also a very nice man, but now I am completely frustrated after I
have talked to him and called the Wald Mayflower agent. The following
is what I posted in the MovingScam.com forum. It summarizes my
problem.

The estimator from Brodrick-Texas, the Beaumont, TX, Allied Van Lines
Agent came to my house yesterday and did the survey. All went smoothly
except for the timing. I am looking at beginning the move on September
5 with one day for packing, load on September 6 and deliver in Frisco
on September 8. The estimator said they would drive to Dallas after
loading and unload on September 7. He said it would take 6-7 hours to
load on the 6th. I said look I am a 65 year old woman, all by myself,
and it is a six hour drive to Dallas. Under the best of conditions
when I start the drive to Dallas early in a morning I am still
exhausted just from the six hour drive. There is no way I could drive
from Beaumont after following the loading and drive the Dallas
freeways late at night. It is a 330 mile drive from my house in
Beaumont to the new house in Frisco.

The estimator finally conceded that he could understood how difficult
it would be for me. He then said they could add a charge for holding
on the truck for one day. Then he said they would give me a senior
citizen discount which brought the charge down to $375.

Armstrong Relocation, the United Van Lines agent from, Houston came
out this morning. When I asked him about the timing, he said they
would travel to Dallas the day after loading and unload on the 8th. I
told him about the one day hold on truck charge. He said that was
ludicrous. Furthermore he said it was illegal. The Armstrong
estimator is supposed to email his estimate to me this afternoon.

The Wald Mayflower estimator wanted to delay making the estimate until
four weeks before the move. The earliest I could persuade him to come
to Beaumont was July 17. I told the Armstrong estimator that I would
like to wait until after I had the estimate from Wald before I made a
decision. He said that was a mistake. In order to guarantee my dates I
should be making my decision shortly. He implied that Wald does not
want to come to Beaumont, and they are trying to discourage me. He
said I should call Wald and tell them you snooze you lose.

I then called the Wald estimator and flat out asked him if he wanted
my business or not. He said he most definitely did want my business;
but if he makes an estimate now it will not be valid for more than 60
days and he cannot guarantee his bid for a September move. He said the
other company could sign me up now and then demand a price increase
when the moving date arrived, or I might have a very unhappy driver on
my hands and might suffer the consequences.

I asked the Wald estimator about the hold on truck charge. He said it
was not illegal; but it was very bad customer service; and they would
not do that.

The Wald agent is supposed to call me back this afternoon to move our
appointment up to the first week of July.

The Allied agent said they do not accept credit cards on moves within
the state of Texas. The Armstrong agent said they accept all major
credit cards including American Express.

I have a headache.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.