My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

First Estimate for Moving

A very nice young man from the local Allied Van Lines franchise came out to give me an estimate for the move to Dallas. He seemed to know his business. He told me if I did use another Allied agent it was very likely that the Beaumont agent would be handling the packing. I showed him the contents of my house that are to be included in the move. He measured my grandfather clock for a crate. He said if they arranged to have the clock serviced for the move they would be using the same company that I had already contacted. I told him the price I had been quoted, and he said if they handled it the price would be more.

We discussed replacement value insurance, how many packers, how many movers etc. etc. Everything went smoothly until he told me they would pack one day, load the next day and unload the following day. That is when I had to protest. There is no way I could drive to Dallas the same day after the van was loaded in Beaumont. I told him I am a 65 year old woman and when I drove to Dallas under the best of conditions I was shaky and exhausted after six hours on the road. He asked if there was someone that could follow the loading here in Beaumont and allow me to leave earlier. I said no. Finally he said he would add a charge for a day's delay between pickup and delivery. He then gave me a senior citizen discount on the charge which brought it down to $375. This was the only unexpected item that came up.

I had made out a list of questions and went over them with him. He gave me the estimate and assured me it would be good into September and that I could wait until after I had an estimate from Wald Mayflower on July 15 before making my decision. The estimator from Armstrong Relocation, the United Van Lines agent is coming out tomorrow. He rescheduled his visit after having car trouble last week,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.