My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Doing Northing

I have managed to get myself worked up over the move for the past few
days. Today I am taking time out. Yesterday I placed the order for
plantation shutters with Janet Pool Blinds & Shutters. I talked to one
more lady. This one said she bought the shutters seven years ago. Then
recently bought a new house and had Janet install the shutters in the
new house. She said she is renting the first house, and the shutters
are doing well with the careless treatment the renters give them. I
decided it was time to go ahead and place the order. I have checked
out Janet Pool in every way I can think of, and she passed all of my
hurdles.

I called the man the realtor recommended to do the repairs on my house
and told him I wanted him to do the work. He sounded genuinely pleased
to get my business.

I got the bid from Armstrong Relocation, the United Van Lines agent
from Houston. It was considerably lower than the Beaumont Allied bid.
I am still very concerned about getting a driver that will want to
deliver the next day in Dallas. I emailed the Armstrong estimator and
told him I want it guaranteed in writing that I would get second day
delivery.

There is a company in Beaumont called A-OK Movers. They had the North
American Van Lines franchise in Beaumont for many years. The man who
owns it was recommended to me by a man on the MovingScam.com forum.
The forum moderator sent me a private message and told me the man who
recommended A-OK Movers had her utmost respect. I called A-OK Movers
several weeks ago just to ask for advice. The owner is very helpful.
After I encountered this next-day delivery problem at the
recommendation of the forum moderator, I called him again. I asked him
how I could protect myself. He told me he could move me. He said he is
62 years old and is the driver. He said there is no way he would load
his truck in Beaumont and attempt to drive to Dallas the same day. He
asked me if I would like for him to come out and give me an estimate.
I said yes. It won't hurt to talk to him. I am concerned about how he
would handle the packing. The Better Business Bureau says he has only
four employees. The forum moderator is telling me that sometimes the
small companies give the best service. With the big-name van lines it
comes down to the luck of the draw depending on the driver you get.

The Wald Mayflower estimator agreed to move our appointment up ten
days. He will come to Beaumont on July 7. I will not make a decision
until I get his bid. I am going to be adamant on my requirement for
second day delivery in Frisco.

I went in the Lowes store this morning. I talked to a nice,
well-informed salesman (a rarity) about the Whirlpool Cabrio washer
and dryer. They are supposed to be available in late June or early
July. He said they had received no information yet but took my name
and phone number and said as soon as he hears something he will call
me. He said even if they are not carried in the store, since they are
from Whirlpool, Lowes will be able to do a special order. He also said
he expected the price would be a little lower than the Sears Elite
Oasis pair.

I emailed GE for information on when the new model refrigerator that I
want will be available. They discontinued the old model before the new
model was released. I don't understand what they are doing.

A neighbor across the street from me had a big garage sale this
morning. I hope they are not getting ready to move. I don't want any
for sale signs besides mine on the street. There were several new
listings in the condo/townhome/patio home category on the MLS listings
this morning. I think the additions are new construction. I was not
familiar with the addresses, and they are more expensive than my
house. I do not want too much competition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.