My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Totally Confused

The world is very different today than it was eighteen years ago when I last bought a new house. When I bought the house, my builder supplied General Electric appliances from Conn's, a local appliance store. They had a builder's department. I called General Electric and requested a brochure. I studied the features and made my choices. The refrigerator was not included, but I was able to get a substantial discount through the builder's department.
 
Now my refrigerator is eighteen years old. I want a new one to match my new appliances. I asked my sales associate if they had some arrangement so I could get a discount on a new refrigerator. She said Del Webb/Pulte buys the appliances directly from GE because they are so large. There is no arrangement for the home buyer to buy through them. She suggested I go to Sears for the refrigerator. I am on my own.
 
I started looking at the General Electric, Sears and Conn's websites. There are so many models that I cannot begin to comprehend the features. I began to wish that I could get a nice color GE brochure that explains all the features. I could flip through the pages and hold it in my hands. I called GE and after a tedious trip through the menus and a lengthy wait I finally reach a representative. I explained my dilemma and told her I would like to have a brochure. She looked through her computer and then told me there was a $10 charge for the current brochure. I said I did not want to pay that much. She said the only free brochure was on 2004 models. I said that would be out of date. I told her the builder was supplying Profile series appliances. She looked again and said there was a brochure on the Profile series that came out in January, 2006, that was free. She is sending me that. I hope it helps narrow the choices.
 
The other purchase that I must make for the house is the window coverings. At other Del Webb communities window blinds or shutters were offered as an option. When I went to Sun City Texas at Georgetown, I was given a seven page list of optional features for the house that I was considering. They are really changing the system at Frisco Lakes. The houses are substantially more expensive than Sun City Texas, but many of the upgrades are now standard. The options have been reduced to one page with seven items on it for the Walden. They are not offering window coverings of any type. I will have to do something immediately to cover up the windows. There is a  big window right over the bathtub in the master bathroom. The only fences allowed in the community are low wrought iron fences so there is no screening from a privacy fence. I have been thinking that I want to put plantation shutters on all the windows and not have drapes or valences. I realized after I signed the contract that there are a pair of unusual windows in the master bedroom. They are very narrow and vertical at each end of the wall where I will place my bed. I do not think plantation shutters would work on them.
 
I found a discussion forum called Frisco Online that discusses all sorts of community information. I think I will post a question and ask for a recommendation for a store to supply my window coverings. It is really difficult to go into a new community and find reputable businesses. From what I have heard it takes quite a bit of skill to properly fit plantation shutters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.