My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Texas Windstorm Inspection


Back in 2001 my insurance company, USAA, notified me that my homeowner’s insurance policy would no longer cover windstorm damage. Jefferson County, Texas, is one of fourteen coastal counties that are considered high risk for hurricane damage. I could have changed insurance companies. Other companies are still offering windstorm coverage in this area, but I had been with USAA for many years. They have always been a highly rated insurance company. USAA referred their policy holders to the high-risk pool insurance being offered by the State of Texas. I signed up for the policy. It is very expensive insurance and carries many restrictions. Whenever a repair or construction is made to the insured structure, an inspection must be made by the state’s inspectors or a licensed professional engineer.

In 2003 I had some siding on my house replaced. The contractor was not familiar with the inspection process. I handled the paperwork for the inspection myself. The Texas Windstorm Inspectors have an office in Beaumont. They came out once while the work was in progress and again after the work was completed. The inspector specified the nail size and made the installer nail the siding every six inches. My contractor was not happy. I had to go through the process again with the new roof. This time my contractor knew all about the inspection process. He hires a licensed professional engineer to perform his inspections. The state inspection is free. The roofing contractor has to pay the engineer, but he said it is cheaper in the long run because it takes so much time to coordinate the free state inspection. TDI, Texas Department of Insurance, maintains a website where you can check the status of the inspection certificate. I was very happy to see the application for my inspection certificate for the roof show up on the website this morning. I have to send the inspection certificate to the Texas Windstorm Insurance office in order to keep my insurance in force.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.