My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Work in Progress



My day of apprehension concerning the roof changed into a day of entertainment. My roofing crew arrived at 6:30 AM. Unbeknown to me my neighbor across the street had also contracted for a new roof and his crew arrived about an hour after mine. The street was very congested with all the vehicles. My neighbor was told that his work would be completed in one day. My contractor told me mine would take two days. By 9:30 my crew had the old shingles removed and the felt in place. Very few shingles had been removed across the street. By 11:00 my crew had nailed all the new shingles on the west side of my house. The bunch across the street was doing a lot of talking but little work. By 1:40 my crew had installed the shingles on the east side of the house, cleaned up the trash and secured the site for the night. They will return at 6:30 AM this morning. My crew will install the ridge row vents and do the lower level shingles over the garage and on the back of the house today. My contractor estimates that they will be done by 11:00 AM. By 2:00 PM the crew across the street had no shingles on the side I was able to see. They did have the felt in place and the bundles of shingles up on the roof. The crew across the street did keep working, and they finished at 7:30 PM. I think my contractor is much more humane by having his crew work a shorter time. People cannot do their best work when they have to spend twelve continuous hours in the hot sun.

I got a bid from the contractor who did the work across the street. I was not comfortable with what they were telling me. The bid was slightly lower than the one I selected. It is not often that you have the chance to see two companies working side by side. My contractor has put on a good show for the neighbors. I will really be surprised if he does not get some more business on my street.

The weather was not a problem. I was very relieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.