My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Hi-Tech Travel Plans


I will not take my pc with me while I am traveling so I have been exploring alternative methods of posting a few photos on the internet. I will take my Sony Clie with me. I have just learned how to send photos from my Sony Clie (Palm-based personal digital assistant) to Smugmug. My Clie is WiFi enabled. That means if I can find a wireless network I can send email while I am traveling from the Clie. Smugmug is the photo-sharing service where I post my photos on the internet. They have a feature for camera-equipped cell phones to send photos via email. I read the instructions and decided that it should work just as well for my Clie. I composed an email with the Clie’s email program, attached a photo of Henry that I had taken with the Clie’s camera and emailed it to Smugmug. Smugmug automatically created a gallery for my emailed pictures. I created a link in the sidebar to the right in this blog for the pictures that I will email while I am traveling.

I have already learned how to create posts for this blog and send them via email. I have been searching for the locations of free WiFi hotspots in Savannah and Charleston. All of my hotels offer WiFi internet service but I do not know how much they charge. Also some WiFi providers use special software that requires a pc and will not work with a pda. T-Mobile hotspots that are available in most Starbucks and Kinko’s work with my Clie but T-Mobile charges $9.95 for a 24 hour periods. I hope it will be possible to find places to send my email without too much frustration.

When I return from Savannah and Charleston, I will upload pictures that I have taken with my Nikon D70. I have not found a way to upload pictures from the D70 while I am traveling if I do not have access to a personal computer. Things have really changed. Just a few years ago all I had to concern myself with was having postage stamps and finding mailboxes for my postcards when I traveled. Then I would get my film processed and printed when I returned home.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Blogger Mark M. Hancock said…

    T-Mobile has monthly wireless internet access plans that are cheaper by volume than a few days of daily use.
    With Nikon SLRs, you'll need some form of computer to upload images. There is one way around it, but it's cost prohibitive.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.