My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

iPod Resurrected


This morning for some reason I woke up around 4:15 AM. I was barely awake when I heard a crashing sound and my clock went black and there was complete darkness. Within 5 min. the power was restored. I have an old computer that I do not use more, but it is still plugged into an APC uninterruptible power supply. The UPS started whining. The whine would not stop even when I unplugged it. Finally I disconnected everything and carried it out to the garage.

I then noticed the amber light was out on my cable modem. I unplugged the modem and my WiFi router for a few minutes. I then plugged them back in and there was still no modem activity. I turned on a couple of TV’s and found the cable was also out. I tried to call Time Warner. After stepping through several levels of menu I was put on hold. While I was waiting I looked over and realized that my little iPod was plugged into its charger. I disconnected it and tried to turn it on. Nothing happened after several attempts to turn it on. I found the manual and followed the steps to reset the iPod. It did not work. The iPod showed no signs of life. I read the warranty. There was no telephone number for Apple, only a web address. That did not help without RoadRunner. Again I tried to call Time Warner and ended up on hold. I was distracted again. I decided to give the iPod reset process one more try. I plugged the iPod into an electrical outlet and held down the menu and select buttons as I had done before. All of a sudden I saw a darkened Apple logo on the screen. As I watched a darkened menu appeared and then the backlight came on. Next the screen went dark again and the charging symbol appeared. I unplugged the iPod and reattached the earbuds. To my amazement everything was back to normal. From now on I am going to plug the iPod into a surge protector when I need to charge it.

It was now 5:15. I called Time Warner again and finally spoke to a customer service representative. She said they were aware of the outage in my area, and a technician was working on it. It is now 5:50 and there is still no RoadRunner or cable. Wow, 5:51 and the cable and RoadRunner have returned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.