My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Brush with a Virus


Yesterday evening I was shopping for shoes at online shoe store sites when my anti-virus software, PC-cillin, popped up with a real-time scan message that said a trojan had been detected on my computer. The message went on to say that PC-cillin had failed to clean and also failed to quarantine the file and said to manually delete it if I was sure that it was not a required file. I was not able to find the file through Windows Explorer. I doubted that I would be able to delete the file from the DOS command prompt. I thought about using the Windows search feature to locate the file, but the search is so slow. Finally I decided to unplug my WiFi router to disconnect my pc from the internet. Then I ran a manual scan using PC-cillin. The file was soon detected, and this time PC-cillin was able to quarantine the file. I reconnected my WiFi router.

I then went to PC-cillin’s website to find out more about the trojan: TROJ_DLOADER.OS – Description and solution. To my dismay I found the trojan, if executed, attempts to install spyware on the pc. I did not think the file had been executed, but I ran my two anti-spyware programs. No spyware was detected.

I am really disgusted that this happened to me. I have been using personal computers for over twenty years and have never, to my knowledge, been infected with a virus. I take every precaution of which I am aware. I have a firewall enabled; my anti-virus software is the latest version and has the latest update; and I run two anti-spyware programs that also have the latest updates. I have Windows Service Pack 2 and all of the Windows critical updates installed on my pc. I am careful about opening email attachments, and clicking on links in questionable websites. I do not know what else I can do to protect my computer.

My intention is to buy a new computer six months after Windows Vista is released; but even if Microsoft is able to stick to its schedule, this is more than two years in the future. If computing continues to be as dangerous is it now, I may have to think about switching from Windows to Apple.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blogs Predict Dukes of Hazzard Movie Doom
    "A car wreck with boobs." This concise, yet substantive, review comes from CNN after the Dukes of Hazzard movie premiere.
    Howdy, great blog, fun and informational.

    I have a 3 Blade Ceiling Fan site/blog. It covers 3 Blade Ceiling Fan related stuff.

    Come and see it when you get time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.