My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Frisco Public Library

Here I sit in my new home--the library. My computer is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. Yesterday I gathered as much information as I could find on Google with my little Palm PDA. I did not find much that helped me make a decision on which pc with Vista to buy. I kept reading the specs on the Sony Vaio AR320E computer. It does not support as high a screen resolution as my recently deceased system. I have read about the new feature in Vista called Aero which makes the screen look like glass with 3D effects and transparent windows that layer on top of each other. It takes very hefty hardware to run it. I could not find Aero mentioned in any of the Sony specifications.
 
This morning I talked myself into ordering the AR320E from Amazon.com. I placed the order with my little Palm. Within five minutes I got cold feet and called and canceled the order. I then called Sony tech. support and spent 30 minutes on hold. I told him I had to buy a pc. The AR390 has Blu-ray which I do not want and costs too much. I asked if the AR320 would run Aero. He put me on hold while he searched his database. He came back and said the AR320 as it is shipping now will not run Aero. He said Nvidia, the graphics card manufacturer, is supposed to ship a new driver for the card that will enable the AR320 to run Aero. I told him I want no part of downloading and installing a graphics driver on a brand new notebook. I have been around that block too many times, and it can be very painful.
 
I was very glad I canceled the order. Tomorrow I will make the rounds of the computer stores to see if there is a pc with Vista that suits me. I am fairly certain I will be stuck until March when I can order a Sony AR that is just right. I will be making frequent trips to the Frisco Library until the Frisco Lake community center opens, and I can use a pc there. My neighbor is going to let me use her pc when I have to access my online financial accounts. I am signed up for some ebills and don't get paper bills mailed to me. I have to have computer access.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.