My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

iPod with Car Stereo

Yesterday I almost ordered a Griffin Smartdeck from Amazon.com which
would allow me to connect my iPod through my car's cassette player.
Griffin states that they have tried to make the Smartdeck as
compatible as possible with as many car cassette players as possible,
but there are some which it will not work with. They do not state
which ones. I emailed Griffin's tech support and asked if it would
work with my car. Today I got a response that said they often had
difficulties with Bose stereo systems. They suggested that I buy it at
Best Buy, try it in the parking lot; and if it did not work, to return
it immediately.

Well, I came up with another solution. Today I was in Wal-Mart and
looked in their electronics department. They had an auto cassette
adapter made my Phillips that was one-third the price of the Griffin
Smartdeck. Instead of connecting to the iPod's connector it just has a
mini stereo plug that plugs in where the iPod's earphones plug in. I
followed the directions and inserted the cassette adapter into my
car's player and plugged the cord into the iPod. I was able to adjust
the volume using both the car;s and iPod's volume controls. I was
really fearful when I finally pushed the eject button. I was afraid
that the adapter might not come out, but it did. After I did my
shopping, I used the adapter a second time and ejected it a second
time when I got back home.

If my memory is correct, Phillips/Norelco is the company that
originally invented the cassette and cassette recorder. I think their
little adapter is going to serve my requirements. I am not listening
to music. I just want to be able to listen to podcasts and audio books
in my car.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger momula said…

    Hi Sally,

    Sounds like things are right on track for your move! I'm happy for you. Have you thought about having a tag sale for some of your "stuff" that won't be making the move with you? Do people do that in your neighborhood?
    My daughters introduced me to the cassette-tape way of playing their ipod music on my car stereo. I was a little hesitant at first, but it seems to work fine in my Toyota Camry. I don't know the brand of the cassette-tape device - one of them bought it at Radio Shack a few months ago. The only problem I've heard so far is when the volume is way too high, there is a crackling in the back speakers. I assumed it was the speakers, not the system, but I tried the high volume with the radio and CDs and it did not happen. Maybe it's the wiring? Anyway, it's a good way to keep the volume at a reasonable level.
    Take care & keep blogging,
    Momula

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Sally said…

    Hi Momula,

    Good to hear from you again. Its been a while.

    My neighbors frquently have garage sales. They attract big crowds into the neighborhood and clog our little street with cars. I probably could have made some money from my stuff, but the logistics of setting it all up are too much for me. It has been easier to haul it to Goodwill one car load at a time.

    Sally

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.