My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

My Roofer

If you have been following my blog for sometime, you will remember that I got a new roof on my house back in June. I was the only one on the street who did not lose a single roof shingle during Hurricane Rita. I did have some sheetrock damage where water came into the attic through a decorative vent and ran down the wall and damaged the ceiling above the windows in my front bedrooms. A week or so after I returned from the evacuation I noticed a stain on the ceiling of one of the bedrooms on the opposite side of the room from the windows. The spot was under the gas furnace in the attic. I showed it to my neighbor, and we agreed that the seal around the vent off of the furnace on the roof was probably the source of the leak.
 
I contacted my roofer, Marty Young, and asked him to take a look at it. He has been swamped with work as all of the roofers in the area are. Every time it has rained over the last three months I have climbed on my step ladder and felt the ceiling to see if there has been any additional leaking. There has been none. Today Marty finally was able to come and take a look at the vent. He also checked out the ridge row vent. He could not find anything wrong with either. He thinks the stain was caused by the water that came in through the decorative vent. It ran along a beam and finally formed a puddle which leaked through the ceiling. I agree with his conclusion since I have seen no additional leaking. We have had several fairly heavy rains over the last three months.
 
Marty Young is a hero in my book. I recommend him without hesitation to anyone in the Beaumont area who needs roof work. The only problem is he is a very busy man. You may have to wait quite a while for him to get to you.He has installed one other new roof on my street and done two on the street in back of me. I noticed one of the houses on the street in back of me looked like it had better workmanship than what many of my neighbors are getting. I did not know at the time that Marty had done this roof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.