My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Talked to Next Door Neighbor


My next door neighbor has returned to Beaumont. He has not looked at my house and could not answer my questions except to say the brand new section of fence between our houses is still standing. Last spring we had a wind storm with wind gusts up to 70 mph. There were several shingles in my yard that blew off my neighbor’s roof. None came off mine; but those shingles scared me; and I immediately started getting bids for a new roof on my house. My new roof was installed in June. It had to meet the Texas Windstorm standards and was inspected and certified by a registered professional engineer. My neighbor did nothing about his roof other than nail back the shingles that had come off.

This neighbor has spent a great deal of money remodeling the interior of his home. He now has a hole in his roof, buckled hardwood floors that were just installed, and soaked furniture and carpet. I will not know if I am home free until I actually enter the house. Two neighbors across the street also have new roofs that look fine. It appears money spent on a new roof was money well spent.

Power may go on in my neighborhood tonight. The Beaumont Enterprise has an article today that says that an electrician should check your electrical connections before the power is turned on. This worries me. I asked my neighbor if he could climb over my fence and turn off the main breaker at the electrical box on the side of the house. He is a not an obliging fellow. I finally said you do not want a fire next door to you. It could burn your house down too. He finally said he would do it and call me back tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.