My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Monday, September 26, 2005

More Thoughts


I was listening to KLVI. Some people are calling in complaining that their driveways are being damaged by city crews who are removing trees and rubbish. My street is a private street. I wonder if the city will enter it. There are very few trees on my street. I had a live oak in my backyard that was planted when the house was new. In 1997 we had an unbelievable ice storm in Beaumont. My live oak tree was shattered by the ice, and I had to have it cut down. I have bemoaned the loss of the tree, but now I am glad that it is no longer there.

My computer skills are proving to be invaluable during this ordeal. I keep packing lists on my computer that I have made for various trips that I have taken. In 2002 I was away for a month on a trip to Vancouver, Hong Kong and Sydney. I printed that list out and packed as if I were taking that trip all over again. Every day the hotels have provided shower caps. This morning I found there was none. I knew I had checked off my shower cap but could not find it. I asked at the desk that a shower cap be put in my room each day. The desk clerk gave me one. After breakfast I repacked my bags and finally found my shower cap. So far I have only thought of one important item that I should have taken with me. That will be the first thing I grab when I can go back and make an inspection.

The computer has given me driving directions and located hotels for me. The blog is a way to reach out to the community. I am finding vital information about conditions caused by the storm. I am able to update the podcasts on my iPod. I can synch my Sony Clie and get news through AvantGo. I am also getting TV listings on the Clie from SecondScreen TV. I have the paper copies of my insurance policies with me, but I also have all of my important papers scanned into PaperPort. It is as if I packed my file cabinet. It was easier to look at the scanned images of my insurance policies on the pc rather than unpack the paper policies.

I also have seven paperback books with me that I have not read. Marguerite loaned me a detailed Dallas street guide and directory. It is more than an inch thick. Marguerite amazed me. As she drove around and pointed things out to me, she would say look at page XX. She has that map book memorized.

I have a spreadsheet that my homes association president emailed to me some time ago that contains the phone numbers of all the neighbors in our group. I have called a couple of the numbers. The phones ring, but no one answers. Telephones are working in parts of Beaumont and the water is supposed to be back but is undrinkable. Electricity and sewers are the biggest problem. A gas line goes into my house. I heat with natural gas and have a gas water heater. Gas lines also go to the kitchen and laundry room, but I have electric appliances. There is a gas outlet for a grill on the back of the house.

It is almost lunch time. I will consult AAA and Marguerite’s book to find a place to eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.