My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Self-checkout Scanners


Is it just me or is everyone having trouble with the do-it-yourself scanners in the grocery stores? Kroger was the first store in my area to install them. I gave up on them after three or four attempts to use them. The Wal-Mart Super Store recently installed them, and I decided to give them another try. The first time I used it everything went fine. I began to think it was really going to be a good way to check out. The second time I used one I tried to pay with a Wal-Mart gift card. The scanner said to seek help. A woman came running over and looked at me like I was trying to commit a robbery. I told her I was trying to pay with a gift card. She said she didn't know what the problem was but she was being called every time someone attempted to use the gift card. She got it to work, and I got out of there.

The next time I was in the store I scanned my items and paid with the gift card without problem. I was feeling much better about the scanners. Then last Friday I tried again. I had a paperback book. Wal-Mart puts a plain white sticker across the publisher's bar code and has a second bar code with their own discount price sticker on the front of the book. I scanned the book and the screen said "illegal item" but did not say what to do. A couple of times the machine cleared the message, and I attempted to scan the book. There was a woman in line behind behind me, and she was telling me that I had put the book in the wrong plastic bag. I finally just lost it and turned around and told her "Go Away!" I caught the eye of the roaming supervisor and motioned him over. He came over and entered a password in the machine and scanned the book and left. I scanned my last item and attempted to pay with the gift card. The machine had another hissy fit. All this time the woman behind me was spewing advice. I waved at the supervisor again. He gave me a look that made me feel like I was the dumbest person on the planet. He entered his password in the machine again and scanned my gift card. It took me the rest of the day to recover my equilibrium.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.