My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Books


Before I retired if I was able to read five or six books a year I was doing good. The last few years while my eye sight declined I found myself reading more and more. I reached the point where I was reading three or four novels a week. My reading rate has declined somewhat since I had the eye surgery because I am getting out and driving my car more.

.
I have quite an accumulation of paperback books. Actually the stack is bigger by about a third because the above picture is almost a year old. I need to find a way of disposing of them. I should look into selling them on eBay or Amazon. Several years ago I found an online bookstore, Alldirect.com. If you buy $99 worth of books (they also sell movies and music) you get free shipping. With the free shipping their prices are consistently lower than any other source. I have been going through the books of best selling authors such as Tom Clancey, John Grisham, Scott Turow, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, John Lescroat, J. D. Robb, Dan Brown, James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Barbara Taylor Bradford and J.K. Rowling (yes, I am a Harry Potter fan). I order all of the books that are available in paperback for a given author and read them in the order they were published.

Most of the above authors have at least one or two new book releases a year. Sam's Club has proved to be a very good local source for low prices on newly released books. Wal-Mart's prices are about $1 per book higher than Sam's. Recently I ordered all of Michael Crichton's books from Alldirect.com. The Andromeda Strain and Congo were out of stock when I ordered the books. I found The Andromeda Strain at Wal-Mart but have been unable to find a low-priced copy of Congo so far.

When I finish Michael Crichton's books, I will begin reading Robert Ludlum's book. I received six of them on my last Alldirect.com order. Robert Ludlum passed away several years ago but other authors are continuing his series of books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.