My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Vista Is Not for Sissies

I am back at the library. When I ordered the new pc I declined the Norton security software that HP listed as an option. I have heard too many stories about Norton causing problems. I had decided that I would get Microsoft's OneCare package instead. Microsoft should be in a better position to offer a product that will work with the new operating system. Then I began to think that HP, Dell and Sony were all only offering Norton as the anti-virus software for Vista. I had not checked to find out if there was a Vista compatible version of OneCare. Much to my relief I found that Microsoft started selling OneCare Ver. 1.5 on Jan. 30 in conjunction with the release of Vista. One problem solved.
 
I will have to buy a new printer since the new computer does not have the old parallel printer port. I have a LaserJet 5P that cost nearly $900 back in 1995. It is old but has never given a problem. Vista is shipping with the necessary driver for the 5P. The only way to continue to use the 5P would be to buy the dLink wireless print server. I do not think I can handle the frustration of getting it to work. I started looking at new LaserJet's. There is a 2600n that is available for less that $300 and is network ready and also prints in color. I thought this sounded like a good deal. Then I checked HP's website and saw the Vista driver will not be ready until July. I will have to explore more printer alternatives.
 
Then I started looking at HP's website for information on my scanner and Vista. Much to my dismay it said there will be no Vista support for my scanner and had a link to their new Vista compatible scanners. My scanner is less that four years old. Bah Humbug!
 
This morning FedEx delivered the expedited warranty papers for the new computer. There was a registration card in the package that said the service was void if the card was not filled out completely and returned within ten days. I called HP to tell them I could not fill out the card because I do not know the serial number of the new computer because it is not scheduled to be built until Feb. 8, and it will be well over ten days by the time I receive it. My first call landed in the U.S. That person gave me another number to call. The next call was answered in India. I explained my problem. That person transferred me. I got someone else in India. That person transferred me back to the U.S. Finally the woman I talked to told me to send in the card when I get the pc. Of course  I had a 5+ minute hold each time I was transferred.
 
I have a long list of items to check for compatibilities. My Nikon D70 camera will be the next item I research. Surely I will be able to copy the pictures off the memory card with my existing USB card reader (I hope). Nikon's software has been very bug prone with Windows XP. It will be a long time before I find the courage to install any of their software on the new Vista pc. I am hoping that Adobe will release a new version of Photoshop Elements soon. I trust them more than I do Nikon.
 
Palm has a detailed page posted that tells what works and what does not work with their software and Vista. They state they are dedicated to releasing new versions of their software that is compatible with Vista as soon as possible. I hope I will be able to mount my Palm TX as a drive and copy the database files to the new pc in order to back them up until the new version of Palm Desktop is available.
 
I read that Apple, also, has made a statement that they will release a new versions of iTunes as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.