My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Still Thinking About Washers & Dryers

Yesterday I looked at Sears' website for information on the new Elite Oasis washers and dryers. They were introduced in January but apparently their availability was (is) limited. I entered the zip code for Frisco and the website said they would be available June 4. In late January I went to the Sears store in Stonebriar Mall in Frisco. I asked a salesman about the new washer with the window in the lid that I had read about, and he did not know anything about them.
 
I decided to go to the Parkdale Mall Sears store here in Beaumont yesterday afternoon. They had the Elite Oasis washers and dryers on display in every color. I talked to a very knowledgeable sales lady. She said the Elite Oasis models are proving to be very popular. They are $300 dollars less than their top of the line front loaders. The optional pedestals for the front loader washer and dryer cost $200 each. This makes the top loaders much more affordable than the fully loaded front loaders.
 
The Elite Oasis is a radical new design. It has a huge tub and does not have an agitator. I am leery of buying something that does not have a proven track record. Most of the time I have very small loads which become unbalanced in my Maytag. Consumer Reports has rated the new Elite Oasis machine. The one negative comment about the machine was that with some loads the clothes had a tendency to ball up and the machine became unbalanced. That is exactly the problem I am trying to avoid. I checked the current Consumer Reports ratings for high efficiency top loaders. The Whirlpool Calypso and the Sears Oasis got the top rating. They both had a score of 72.
 
On Friday evening I watched a CSI rerun on Spike TV. They had a story about a little boy that had been left on a bus stop bench. He was wrapped in a blanket that had all kinds of fibers and hair from many different people on it. It turns out the little boy had died in a clothes dryer in a laundromat. It made me feel nauseous to think about the things your clothes might pick up in a public washer and dryer. I have mattress pads that have tags that say they are to be washed in a commercial machine. I hate to take them to the laundromat. I am wondering if the large capacity Oasis machine could wash my mattress pads.
 
I will be doing more thinking about washers and dryers before I make a final decision.
 
 
 

4 Comments:

  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger momula said…

    Hi Sally,

    The titles of your posts make me laugh: "I am a Genius & Also Part Bulldog" and "I Hate My Washing Machine"! Those are excellent qualities to have, and a very honest sentiment. I get frustrated with my home computer, too, but I don't have your genius or patience - I just reboot it and walk away.

    The new house looks great! I'd be so excited if I knew I was moving into a brand-new house this summer. As it is, I'm just happy my basement isn't flooding after all the rain we've had.

    Take care,
    Momula

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Sally said…

    Hi Momula,

    I am glad your basement is not flooded. The pictures from New England on TV have been frightening. Down here on the Gulf Coast I have always had the FEMA flood insurance. I have been told I will not need it in Frisco, but I am thinking I will go ahead and get it. After all the place I am going to is called Frisco Lakes.

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger momula said…

    Hi Sally,
    The flooding on TV was mostly in Massachusetts and New Hampshire - I live in Connecticut, where it was very wet, but not as bad as other places. My older daughter goes to college in Massachusetts, but she was not affected by all of the water.
    In spite of our having a sump pump in the basement floor, the basement used to flood a few inches every other year or so, when it rained a lot, until my husband put some cement in the cracks in the hatchway area last fall. These past few weeks have been a real test of his project, and I'm happy to say it worked!
    Texas has so many different climates and geographies and zones, you'd do well to be prepared for just about anything. Did I tell you that my husband is from El Paso? Most of his family is still there, although one sister is in Killeen, TX, and the other in Garden Grove, CA. My sister's husband is from the Dallas area, and his family is still there, also. Strange how we ended up with Texans.

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Sally said…

    Momula,
    My eyes always light up when I see that I have a comment from you. You have been writing to me since the evacuation last year. I appreciated your encouragement during that trying time.

    If you pass through the Dallas area on the way to visit your husband's family, let me know. Maybe we could meet. Who knows, you might like Frisco Lakes and want to settle there.

    Sally

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.