My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Uneasiness

For the most part I feel good about my decision to move, but every so often I am overcome with pangs of doubt. I worry that my old house will not sell. I am worrying about selecting a moving company. I want to find one that will do the packing and be extremely careful with my furniture. Back in January I talked to  a Mayflower agent who is located in Houston. There is no longer a Mayflower franchise in Beaumont. This particular company had moved me to Houston back in the 1980's, and they did a great job. I talked to them in January when I was trying to get a rough idea of the cost to move. They gave me a ballpark estimate, and told me they could handle the move from Beaumont with no problem and to call them so they could make the on site estimate when moving time was closer.
 
In the middle of the past week I called the man I had talked to in January. I left a voice mail message. He has not returned my call. Yesterday I sent an email message to them. I said I would like to find out when was the appropriate time to get an estimate. I got an email message back saying they would not come to Beaumont to make an estimate unless I guaranteed them I was going to make the move with them. This is a completely different story than I heard back in January. I had been counting on them. Now I must talk to companies that are located in Beaumont. There are very few of the first-class national van lines located here.

I found a forum: Laundry Room that discusses washing machines. I found some very negative comments about the Sears and Whirlpool front-loading machines. There were also comments about Sears' new Elite Oasis machines. These are top loading but do not have an agitator. They have a window in the lid and come in the blue color that I like. They have extremely large capacity which I do not need. Apparently washing machine technology has changed a great deal since I made my last purchase. From what I gather you no longer select the water level. The machine senses the size of the load and chooses the correct amount of water. Some of the machines contain water heaters. It seems like I have to go to school and do a great deal of studying before I can make any kind of purchase. I could not even narrow a search for a refrigerator before I learned several new terms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.