My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Better Understanding

Today I received another email from Microsoft support regarding the
problem I have had with my computer. This message had more detail than
the Knowledge Base article. This one says the only complete cure for
the problem is to edit the registry. It gave better instructions on
how to do that, but I am still avoiding attempting to change the
registry.

It also said that using Task Manager to kill one or both of the
Hewlett Packard processes is a permanent fix for only the user who is
currently logged in. That explains why most of the problems with my PC
appear to be fixed. I have remained logged in since I killed the one
HP process on Friday.

The email went on to say that certain models of nVidia graphics
controllers were causing more problems with the update. It gave
instructions for a second registry edit that was even more
complicated. I grabbed the manual on my computer to check the
specifications. I was relieved to find that my PC has an ATI graphics
controller.

Then the email stated that they had identified problems with the
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall. Fortunately I do not have that
firewall on my PC either. This is a mess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.