My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Monday, October 03, 2005

A Brief Update


I found my way to Collin Creek Mall this morning. I went in a CompUSA store and got an AOL installation disk. Hopefully, I will not have to sign up for AOL.

I talked to my friend, Carol, she and her husband are in Houston with their daughter. Her husband made the trip back to Beaumont to check on their house. She lives fairly close to me. They do not have power yet. They have above ground utilities. A tree knocked down the line that goes from the pole to their house. Entergy says the lines leading into the house are the owner’s responsibility. They have to find an electrician who can connect the wire. What a mess. Now I know why underground utilities are so good. Previously I just thought it was for cosmetic purposes—you do not have to see ugly poles and lines. Carol said her husband picked up more clothes for her. I am in good shape with what I packed. An occasional trip to the Laundromat could keep me going for a long time.

I have been unable to reach any of my neighbors’ cell phones. Maybe the cell phone towers in our area are in bad shape. I will try their regular home phones later. I would like to confirm that the power has remained on.

The City of Beaumont says the water is drinkable. They recommend that each tap be run for 10 minutes to clear the sediment. They also say to run your washing machine through a cycle with no clothes. The water contains magnesium that could stain clothes.

I ate my lunch at the Luby’s cafeteria that is near the hotel. I have become a regular in the place. When I am back home, I am not going near a Luby’s for a long, long time.

I have read that the mosquitoes are swarming in Beaumont. Mark Hancock had several photos of planes that are spraying for them. I packed my bottle of Off. I will be sure to give myself a liberal coating when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.