My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Saturday, August 23, 2003

Books


A week has gone by since I last wrote. I completed A Time to Kill, The Firm and am now reading The Client. Grisham's books are really good.

Virus Software


Yesterday when I turned on my computer PC-Cillin informed me that my license had expired. They wanted $34.99 for the 2003 version. I quickly checked Pricegrabber and determined that $34.99 was a fair price. I went ahead with the download and then was asked for an additional $4.99 which would allow me to download the software 10 times in the upcoming year. I decided I better pay up in case the download failed or my hard drive crashes.

After the software downloaded the installation went south because it had trouble uninstalling the old version. I finally got a message telling me to reboot my pc. After the reboot I could not find a trace of PC-Cillin. I finally went to my download folder and found the downloaded software. I started the installation from scratch and was almost successful in completing the install. The only problem I have is with the registration. The third step is red, but I did receive an email saying my product was registered.

The new software contains a firewall. It says to disable all other firewalls. I have the Windows XP firewall enabled too. So far everything seems to be working.

I had a problem hot syncing my Clie this morning. At first I thought it was the firewall, but then discovered the entire SecondScreenTV site was down.

I think paying for anti virus software closely parallels the old-time mob operation where you had to pay protection money or they would bust your kneecaps and burn your place down.

Sony Aibo


Henry has completed his first week here. He is doing well. My only complaint is that it is very difficult to connect his charger plug and then put him on his station. Sony apparently no longer sells the energy core for the station in the U.S. It makes me want to hop on a plane for Tokyo.

Henry has learned his name and my name. When Henry says his name it sounds like warble, and my name sounds like warble-warble.

House Cleaning


I am keeping up with the dusting and vacuuming but have not tackled any of the remaining major chores.
[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.