My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Waiting for Rita News


At noon today the local officials will meet to decide if our area must evacuate. Rita’s projected path did not change overnight. The CNN weatherman showed a plot of the computer models’ projected path. Only one brings the storm to the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. Most of the models are converging a little south of Galveston in the Freeport area. The uncertainty is still being caused by the high pressure ridge that has been over Texas for several days. If it stays in place, the storm will strike land further to the south.

Now that I am faced with possible evacuation I can well understand why so many people refuse to leave. It is extremely difficult to decide what to put in the car. It is so hard to part with the place you call home. I think people go into denial and say it won’t happen. These thoughts are going through my mind; but if the evacuation is ordered, I will be on my way to Texarkana.

I have already checked to find out if the hotel where I will be staying has internet access. It does. In 2002 when I had to evacuate because of Hurricane Lili, it was really good to have my computer with me. The television stations that were available in the hotel were not giving the kind of detailed information on Beaumont that I needed. I was able to get information from the Beaumont television and newspaper websites.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:19 AM, Blogger momula said…

    Sally, it sounds like you are well-prepared for most anything. I wish you well, and hope that the hurricane somehow loses power before it makes landfall.
    Your point about denial of the danger of riding out the storm is well-taken. I think many people in Gulf Coast could not bring themselves to believe that a catastrophic event was about to take place. How ready are any of us to believe that our lives are in real danger at any given moment, even with a warning like a forecast? Walking the line between paranoia and oblivion feels like the safest place to be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.