My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Still Waiting for Rita


The local officials have ordered a mandatory evacuation of Sabine Pass on the coast in our area. They are encouraging a voluntary evacuation for all of Jefferson County which includes Beaumont and Port Arthur. I have packed my big suitcase and gathered up most of what I plan to take with me. I have not put anything in my car yet. The emergency management officials will meet again at 6 PM. The evacuation may become mandatory at that time. Texas has a new law authorizing mandatory evacuations, but it has no teeth. There are no penalties for failing to evacuate.

I checked with my neighbors across the street. The man says he is not evacuating. His wife wants to leave. She was trying to find a way to fly out of here. I told her she could go with me and that my offer is open until 6 AM tomorrow. I often bemoan the fact that I have no family and am on my own; but after I talked to my neighbors I decided my situation may have advantages.

This is antidotal evidence and is not worth much. We are experiencing record high temperatures. It was 99 degrees early in the afternoon. I think this is evidence that the high pressure ridge is remaining in place over Texas. If that high pressure ridge stays, put it will keep Rita away from us. I noticed that the cone of uncertainty has narrowed a little. Southeast Texas is now on the border of the western edge of the cone. The last I heard Rita has a 280 mile diameter. If it goes in over Galveston and remains this large, my area will definitely have high winds.

My next door neighbor just knocked on my door and told me the neighbors across the street are already on their way to Dallas. I am relieved. I have heard the roads are really clogged going north from Beaumont.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.