My Thoughts

A summary of my daily thoughts.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

I am trying to regain normalcy


It is not working. I went to the library, I ordered more clothes from L.L. Bean and I went through the stack of Wall Street Journal’s that I have accumulated. Everywhere I turn I find more evidence of the government’s bungling.

I read an article in the WSJ about how after the fall of Saigon a tremendous wave of displaced Vietnamese entered this country. Initially they were sent to three military installations. They were interviewed to determine their skills and were matched to a specific geographic area before they were relocated. Last night on one of the networks I saw a plane load of New Orleans evacuees who had been sent to Utah. They thought they were going to Houston when they got on the plane. Some of them had never flown before. One man was asked what he thought of the mountains that could be viewed out of a window in the shelter. He said he thought it was a painting when he first saw it. It showed them holding a Baptist church service in the shelter provided by Mormons. The black population of Utah is less than one percent. If the evacuees cannot be assimilated into this strange culture, who will provide for their return to the south? A number of charities are paying for the airfares. Are they purchasing roundtrip tickets?

I saw another story on CNN that disturbed me. All of these databases are being set up by various organizations to help the evacuees to find their lost family members. The problem is a number of these databases are not secure. The people who have already been so severely victimized are now being setup to be victims of identity theft.

Billions of dollars were thrown at Homeland Security after 9/11. The Homeland Security bureaucrats were responsible for disaster planning. If they had done their jobs, the response to Katrina would have been much smoother. The problem is the federal government has abdicated its responsibilities and assumed the state and local governments, charitable organizations and the private sector could bare the burden. We now have irrefutable proof that this approach will not work. The states are subservient to the federal government. The Civil War should have ended this states rights nonsense, but it is alive and well in the Republican Party. Poor ol’ Abraham Lincoln is rolling around in his grave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[print version]
Visit www.dailysudoku.com for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.